On the north west coast of Tasmania, Table Cape Lighthouse sits on an extinct volcano.
When it was built in 1888 the light was powered by an oil burner. Three light house keepers lived in cottages on the site and maintained the light manually. In 1913 the light was converted to vapourised kerosene and in 1920, it was converted to automatic acetylene with keepers withdrawn in 1923. The most recent conversion took place in 1979 when a lamp was connected to mains electricity.
A white picket fence marks the site of a grave, the infant son of the first light house keeper, who died within weeks of the lighthouse becoming operational.
As well as overlooking Bass Strait, the light house overlooks fields of tulip bulbs and fields of white daisies, pyrethrum. An Australian company is the world’s largest supplier of the natural insecticide found in the pyrethrum flower heads.
The town of Wynyard is a few kilometres along the coast. There are pleasant walks along the river estuary and on beaches. We stayed in a standard motel room but these family units made from shipping containers looked interesting.
Below the lighthouse, a small beach sits beside Fossil Bluff. Lava from the volcano above collected plants and animals, which can be seen today as fossils in the rocks.