Much of Tasmania’s heritage dates back to European settlement. These three bridges were all built by convict labour.
Built in 1823 it is the oldest bridge in use in Australia.
The Red Bridge, Campbell Town
Built in 1838, constructed of hand made red bricks. This bridge on the Midland Highway now carries two million vehicles each year.
Built in 1843, it is no longer in use, located a few meters from the East Coast Road.
But such a spectacular design. Some say the vertical stones were to prevent cattle falling over the side. Others claim it was convict rebellion against their supervisors.